10 Dangerous Foods For Dogs

Dogs are members of the family, treating them as such at meals can be dangerous to them.

It’s crucial for your dog’s health that you know what you can and can’t feed him.

There are lots of foods that can be bad for your dog, including some that are healthy for humans.

Here are 10 foods toxic to dogs that should be avoided.

dangerousfoods.jpg

1. Chocolate

Chocolate intoxication can occur any time dogs eat products that contain chocolate, such as chocolate candy, cookies, brownies, cakes and cocoa powder.

The chocolate’s compounds that cause toxicity are caffeine and theobromine, which belong to a group of chemicals named methylxanthines.

Consuming chocolate may damage a dog’s central nervous system, heart, lungs and kidneys. Baker’s chocolate, cocoa powder and dark chocolate are more toxic than milk chocolate, but all varieties are dangerous. Poisoning symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea, hyperactivity, overheating, seizures, tremors, irregular heart rate and internal bleeding. Within 12 to 36 hours, dogs may experience sensory sensitivity, stiffness, hallucinations, heart attack, coma and death.

The rule of thumb with chocolate is:

The darker it is, the more dangerous it is.

Depending on the kind and amount of chocolate ingested, the signs can range from:

✔️ vomiting

✔️ increased thirst

✔️ abdominal pain

✔️ anxiety to severe agitation

✔️ muscle tremors

✔️ arrhythmias

✔️ hyperthermia

✔️ seizures

✔️ death

If your dog ate chocolate and present any of these signs you should seek veterinary assistance right away.

Read also: can dogs eat chocolate?

Grapes and Raisins
A single serving of raisins or grapes can cause serious illness or death in some dogs. Because the toxin accumulates internally, even a dog who has no negative reaction to these fruits may become extremely ill over time. Early symptoms of grape or raisin poisoning include vomiting and diarrhea, followed by lethargy, dehydration, lack of appetite, decreased urination and kidney failure that can result in chronic kidney disease or death.

Onions and Garlic
Onions, garlic, scallions and shallots contain disulfide, a compound that can damage dogs’ red blood cells. When dogs eat raw onions or garlic, they risk developing hemolytic anemia, which occurs when destroyed red blood cells cannot be replaced. Eating powdered forms of onion or garlic in soups, dips or sauces is also toxic. Signs of internal damage, such as weakness, orange-colored urine, tiring easily or resisting movement, may not appear for a few days. If you notice these symptoms, immediately take your dog to a veterinarian or emergency clinic where a blood transfusion may be necessary.

Baking Dough
Uncooked bread dough that contains yeast can be dangerous for any dog who ingests it. The stomach’s moist warmth provides a perfect environment for the yeast in raw dough to rise, which can cause intense discomfort and lead to the dog’s stomach or bowel to rupture. The expanding stomach can press against the dog’s diaphragm, making breathing difficult. If your dog has eaten bread dough, she needs to be examined by a veterinarian immediately.

Nuts
Nuts are unhealthy for dogs because their high phosphorus content may lead to bladder stones. Walnuts are poisonous for dogs, as are macadamia nuts. Eating even a few macadamia nuts can be harmful, leading to vomiting, muscle pain, joint swelling and overall weakness. Dogs who have eaten macadamias may experience hypothermia, dizziness, coordination problems, tremors and a high fever. Consult your veterinarian immediately if your dog exhibits any of these symptoms.

Fatty Foods
Dogs are fond of meat and other high-fat foods, but cooked and uncooked meat table scraps and fat trimmed from meat can cause pancreatitis. Unfortunately, some people treat dogs with leftovers, and dogs sometimes treat themselves by stealing food. Pancreatitis in dogs often follows the consumption of a fatty meal or snack. Your dog may become very sick quickly, and if you notice symptoms such as sudden vomiting, diarrhea and abdominal pain, she should be examined by a veterinarian and receive intensive fluid and antibiotic therapy.

Nutmeg
The same nutmeg used in baking or sprinkled on eggnog can be very toxic to dogs, and the oil in nutmeg may cause central nervous system damage. Nutmeg toxicity can result in abdominal pain, vomiting, muscle spasms, irregular heart rate, dizziness, tremors, extreme sleepiness, personality changes, seizures and hallucinations. Your dog needs to be examined by a veterinarian immediately, because if treated too late or left untreated, nutmeg poisoning may be fatal.

Xylitol
Xylitol is a sweetening agent used in sugar-free gum and candy, and as a sweetener added to sugar-free baked goods. Products containing xylitol should never be given to or within reach of dogs. Symptoms of xylitol poisoning include vomiting, lethargy, loss of coordination, erratic behavior, disorientation and seizures. Eating candy, gum or baked foods made with xylitol can cause a severe drop in blood-sugar levels, resulting in liver failure. If you suspect your dog has ingested xylitol, she should be taken to a veterinarian or an emergency clinic immediately.

Avocado
Avocado fruit, leaves, seeds and bark may be toxic to dogs and can lead to diarrhea and vomiting. The danger comes from persin, an oil-soluble toxin found in the avocado fruit and its skin. Another danger for dogs is the large avocado pit, which, if swallowed, can block the digestive tract and require emergency surgery.

Rawhide Treats
Feeding rawhide treats can bring about a range of problems. Some rawhide products have tested positive for toxic chemicals or for salmonella and E. coli bacterial contamination. If you give your dog rawhide, supervise her while she is chewing it, because it softens and becomes enlarged by dog saliva. Rawhide must be taken away prior to being swallowed, because it continues to expand in the stomach or intestines, causing a blockage that may require emergency surgery. Contact your veterinarian immediately if your dog’s symptoms include gagging, repetitive swallowing, vomiting, diarrhea, signs of pain, lack of energy, loss of appetite or a fever.

Sources:

The Nest

3Milliondogs

Leave a Reply